Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Perspective- Expatriate thoughts on Kuwait

I recently met an Arab-American who has never set foot in the region and moved to Kuwait for the experience.

Unfortunately, he was a victim of the recent lay-offs due to his high cost to the firm, he holds multiple designations that require proper compensation.

I found his comments on Kuwait's culture to be hard to swallow yet quite accurate in some cases. A few highlights:


"I had an unfortunate incident at the airport in Kuwait prior to my
departure because I refused to let someone with "wasta" pass in front
of me in the line to board the aircraft.

I guess you could say I never adjusted to the way things function in Kuwait.

I think my time in Kuwait was a wonderful experience if only because
it taught me how fortunate I was to live in a country where everyone
is equal before the law, and how truly priceless this is.

I did not come to Kuwait to make a quick buck and mingle exclusively
with expats like most foreigners do. I had truly come hoping to make
meaningful friendships with Kuwaitis.

Unfortunately, I have come to the realization that this is simply not possible, either with my female acquaintances because of the rigid social structure; nor with my male friends who despite being extremely friendly at work would not
welcome me in their diwaniyas or their beach houses - let alone their
actual houses."

Why is it that we as a culture prefer to stay in our little shells and never leave our comfort zone?


BQ

9 comments:

قانونى كويتي said...

thanx

Tiger said...

wtf, someone used wasta for that!! i would have invited him beldewaneya bas ma eeyena labes shorts :)

S said...

because alot of kuwaities think they're gods gift to earth. They need to get over themselves.. even I get sucked into this bubble sometimes. u have to fight it :P

Splash said...

every country has it's own ways and rules, so if you are a visitor, you have to discover these things your self, not to expect to be treated like you are on your own country.

so it has nothing to do if it was in kuwait or another country.

Just for your information, if you like to expand your blog and get more traffic, add it to the new Kuwait Directory www.Q80.biz you can add your Blog under Social category.

Good Luck

J said...

you're trying to rub shoulders with the wrong people.

Saud said...

we are a closed culture. we are set in our ways. it is sad. so very sad.

HowDy said...

very insightful..... yet i do not see any reason why he wasnt allowed to diwaniyas...

somehow we kuwaiti's think we are better than other nationalities in the end we are all human and we must try to get along....

but in kuwait u have ana weld 7mayel and bent a9eela ana 3eemi ana bdowee etc etc... u get what i mean....

Marketing Kuwait said...

I believe that incident shouldnt allow you to dismiss Kuwait as a whole.

I am an expatriate who has lived and worked in Kuwait all my life. Comparing it with the UK, the "system" here is just different. Yeah, sure a lot of q80s think they are descendents of heaven, but that only gives you another opportunity to laugh and marvel at how another human can think he's betta for no good reason. If you considered such kuwaitis (who are a big minority) as immature 17 year olds, things wud fall into perspective.

Dont fight it. Dont give in. Learn from it.

How would you feel if you were at Belgian airport and a dude right in front of you flashed a swastika on his right shoulder? Im sure you wouldnt love that either.

Randy
http://marketing-kuwait.blogspot.com

Bo6abesh said...

mojtama3 bedoon ta6beeeq el qanoon y9eer nafs el ghaba el kbeer yakil el 9gheer

ma3a el asaaf hathy moshkilatna bel q8...3adaam ta6beeq el qanaoon eveen ib ab9a6 el amakin !